Wednesday, April 27, 2011
two men meet on the street. they haven't seen each other for many years. they talk about various things, and then after some time one of them says:
"since you're a professor in mathematics,
I'd like to give you a problem to solve...."
the mathematician: "what problem?"
the father: "you know, today's a very special day for me
all three of my sons celebrate their birthday this very day!
so, can you tell me how old each of them is?"
"sure" answers the mathematician, "but you'll have to tell me something
"OK, I'll give you some hints" replies the father of the three sons , "the
product of the ages of my sons is 36"
"that's fine" says the mathematician, "but I'll need more than just this"
"the sum of their ages is equal to the number of windows in that building"
says the father pointing at a structure next to them
the mathematician thinks for some time and replies: "still, I need an additional
hint to solve your puzzle"
"my oldest son has blue eyes" says the other man.
"oh, this is sufficient!" exclaims the mathematician, and he gives the father
the correct answer: the ages of his three sons
the answer is simple: "It's Not About Math"
the possible combinations: "from the 1st point"
1 + 1 + 36 = 38
1 + 2 + 18 = 21
1 + 3 + 12 = 16
1 + 4 + 9 = 14
1 + 6 + 6 = 13
2 + 2 + 9 = 13
2 + 3 + 6 = 11
3 + 3 + 4 = 10
unfortunately the 2nd point is distracting... the number of windows was 13
then comes the 3rd point:
my oldest son has blue eyes
no, no, wait... it's:
my oldest son has blue eyes
the ages of the three sons must be 2, 2, 9
if we can really understand the problem, the answer will come out of it; because the answer is not separate from the problem
source: How to Solve It: Modern Heuristics
Sunday, April 24, 2011
how rational thought destroys your soul?
could it be about the triumph of irrationality...
and the power that's in that?
you know, we spend a lot of time trying to organize the world;
we build clocks and calendars,
and we try and predict the weather.
but what part of our life is truly under our control?
what if we choose to exist purely...
in a reality of our own making?
does that render us insane?
and if it does,
isn't that better than a life of despair?
it's a course that investigates what drives men to be free,
no matter the cost...
from The Next Three Days
Wednesday, April 6, 2011
by: Orna Ross
conventional intelligence communicates through thoughts, concepts, opinions and ideas... creative intelligence communicates through feelings, emotions, imaginings and intuitions
conventional intelligence aims to control... creative intelligence aims to allow
conventional intelligence analyzes and critiques... creative intelligence plays and explores
conventional intelligence categorizes... creative intelligence disrupts
conventional intelligence looks out, seeing human reality as material and fixed... creative intelligence looks in, seeing human reality as imagined and co-created
conventional intelligence persuades through intellectual opinion and argument... creative intelligence persuades through story, symbol, and song
conventional intelligence consumes art, writing and music as entertainment... creative intelligence creates art, writing and music as expression
conventional intelligence likes answers... creative intelligence likes questions
conventional intelligence sees failure as avoidable and a defeat... creative intelligence sees failure as necessary and a learning opportunity
conventional intelligence deploys... creative intelligence devises
Monday, April 4, 2011
by House Of Bread
1. Drink plenty of water
2. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a beggar
3. Eat more foods that grow on trees and plants, and eat less food that is manufactured in plants
4. Live with the 3 E's; Energy, Enthusiasm, and Empathy
5. Make time for prayer
6. Play more games
7. Read more books than you did in the past year
8. Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes each day
9. Sleep for 6 hours
10. Take a 10-30 minutes walk every day... and while you walk, smile
11. Don't compare your life to others'. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
12. Don't have negative thoughts on things you cannot control. Instead invest your energy in the positive present moment
13. Don't over do; keep your limits
14. Don't take yourself so seriously; no one else does
15. Don't waste your precious energy on gossip
16. Dream more while you are awake
17. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need...
18. Forget issues of the past. Don't remind your partner with his/her mistakes of the past. That will ruin your present happiness.
19. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone. Don't hate others.
20. Make peace with your past so it won't spoil the present
21. No one is in charge of your happiness except you
22. Realize that life is a school and you are here to learn. Problems are simply part of the curriculum that appear and fade away like algebra class but the lessons you learn will last a lifetime.
23. Smile and laugh more
24. You don't have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.
25. Call your family often
26. Each day give something good to others
27. Forgive everyone for everything
28. Spend time with people over the age of 60 and under the age of 6
29. Try to make at least 3 people smile each day
30. What other people think of you is none of your business
31. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your family and friends will; Stay in touch.
32. Do the right things
33. Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful, or joyful
34. GOD heals everything
35. However good or bad a situation is, it will change
36. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up
37. The best is yet to come
38. When you awake alive in the morning, thank GOD for it
39. Your inner most is always happy. So, be happy.
Last but not the least:
40. Share this with everyone you care about.